All Truth About Unit Testing
Software testing is introduced in the variety of forms and ways of execution. Each type of testing, for example, system testing, usability testing, integration testing, and so on, has its own peculiarities.
In the sphere of software products development and testing, module testing (component or unit testing) is rather contradictory. Some specialists believe that this type of checking – an inherent part of each testing strategy.
A developer made some modifications or changes of one or other components during the product development. The actions, executed by the specialist with the purpose of these modified elements checking, constitute the basis of unit testing. Herein, it is not necessary for testing to be automated.
Some features of changes, fulfilled by the developer, influence the unit testing execution.
What Has an Impact on Unit Testing?
- The competence level of the specialist which works on the code. Some developers create very good, literate code and the other specialists’ work should be checked and re-checked several times.
- The scope of changes. It is important for a tester to know the specifics and the extent of changes for the effective work. This will significantly accelerate the checking process of the product.
- The field of changes. One should analyze the context in which the modifications were performed.
There is a number of unit testing advantages which promote the effective product creation.
What Are the Advantages of Unit Testing?
- This type of testing gives an opportunity to more closely examine the scenarios. Unit testing helps to specify the requirements and product functionality.
- It significantly reduces the cost of the software development and testing. Time, needed for the technical requirements and scenarios generation, will be used for the other tasks performance.
- Unit testing promotes testing of such problem moments checking of which can be ensured by black box testing. Besides, unit testing ensures the collaboration between the testers and developers.