Nowadays an error tracking system is widely utilized during web site testing, desktop testing and mobile application testing. It allows to store and maintain the defects found in course of functional testing, usability testing, security testing and other testing types.
One should select the appropriate for the project tool. In this case the tool can help to increase efficiency of communication between the test engineers, developers and managers and of the manual and automated testing in general.
One Should Pay Attention to Such Characteristics of a Bug-Tracking Tool:
- functions and customization of the instrument, whether it is possible to assign various statuses and priorities to the defects;
- whether the tool is compatible with the used test management, automated testing instruments and other tools of the project;
- whether it is possible to import and export the defects to Excel files;
- if it is possible to use various filters for sorting the reported defects;
- whether it is possible to attach screenshots, video and other documents, illustrating the defect, to the tickets;
- whether it is possible to archive some projects or parts of the project;
- whether it is possible to link the reported errors one to another.
At present there are many free and commercial error tracking systems with rich functionality and customization abilities. Among them one can select a suitable one for a project and present the results of load testing, usability testing, security testing, functional testing and other testing types in a convenient way.