Before proceeding to scalability testing itself, one should figure out what the “scalability” is.
The scalability is such system characteristic which describes its ability to the correct functioning in the overload conditions. Also, the linear connection between the system complexity and the task complexity degree, which are performed by this system, are defined by this concept.
Scalability testing is fulfilled for the purpose of the software technical characteristics checking, namely, the system capabilities to prevent the overloads. Also, this type of checking shows the system stability level to crashes. The scalability control is referred to the nonfunctional type of testing.
Firstly, software testing company defines the possible difficulties of the product scalability which may be connected with the two main software characteristics.
What Are the Scalability Attributes?
- Time: screen transitions, time of the restart or task end, time of respond.
- Technical characteristics: central processing unit, memory, network connections.
Software testing contains several stages each of which follows a certain purpose and differs by the realization method.
What Are the Steps of Scalability Testing?
- Product system validation checking. The specialists test whether the system may really fulfil the various functions. This stage is executed when the product prototype has already developed.
- Benchmark testing. An expert writes and conducts a benchmark test which is also used for the other types of checking, for example, performance testing.
- Regression testing. It is executed with the aim of checking whether the technical characteristics of the product are deteriorated or not.
- The control stage. All system elements are integrated and the full checking of the product scalability is performed.
Conducting web application testing or desktop testing, a specialist may modify a lot the above-mentioned steps of scalability checking.