Databases are the inevitable part of such software products as online stores, banking system applications, and so on. These can the databases of different types, for example, DB2, SQL, MySQL, and others.
In order to verify the correct work of the database, it is performed server-side testing which actually is backend testing.
Performing database testing, the specialists do not work with the graphical user interface (GUI), they proceed directly to analyzing the processes of execution of the request with specified parameters and receiving the correspondent answer from the server. With this purpose, JSON and XML can be used.
There are several phases of backend tests:
- the delivery of SQL server specification;
- the testing of design specification;
- the implementation of the tests into the design with the help of SQL code.
Backend testing is the process of validation such database aspects as schemas, tables, indexes and keys, data storage procedure, the process of data duplication, server validation, etc. The tests are launched with the aim of preventing data corruption, deadlock, data loss and others. To check the work of databases, several types of tests are executed.
What are the types of databases testing?
- Non-functional testing
- Functional testing
- Structural testing
The special testing tools will help to simplify the verification procedure of the proper operation of databases. This can be TurboData, Data Factory, AETG, Data Generation and others.
What are the advantages of backend testing?
- Such software testing ensures full control over the test coverage.
- Backend checking promotes the detection of a bigger number of potential bugs even at the early stages of the development.
- With the help of backend testing, the specialists execute more detailed checking of the system, as the applying of the black bow method is not allowed for this testing type.