User interface testing is a procedure to check application's user interface and to identify whether application has a proper functional.
Our purposes in user interface testing are to:
- Detect problems related to specific interface mechanism
- Detect problems in the way interface implements semantics of navigation, web application functionality or content display
What is UI Testing: Goals and Tasks of UI testing tools
The web user interface – is a set and collaboration of the tools, due to which the user interacts with the web site, or any other application via a browser. Web interfaces are widely used because of the growing popularity of the World Wide Web and, accordingly, of the ubiquity of web browsers. One of the main requirements and targets of the web interfaces is their same appearance and the same functionality during working in different browsers.
User interface testing involves conducting a set of tasks and comparing the result of same with the anticipated output and ability to repeat equal set of tasks many times with various data input and equal level of exactness.
User interface testing comprises:
- In what way various UI elements (toolbars, menu bars, images, dialogs, edit fields, list controls, buttons and so on) respond to user input
- In what way the application handles keyboard and mouse events
QATestLab focuses on executing UI testing because conducting of this type of testing at early stages of software development cycle accelerates development, improves quality and diminishes risks towards the end of the cycle.
User interface testing can be conducted both manually (with a human software tester) or automatically (with the use of a software program).
We work to reach such objectives:
- Interface features are tested to assure that design standards, aesthetics and related visual content are accessible for user without defects
- The interface is tested within a diversity of environments to assure that it will be compatible
- Each interface machine is tested within the context of a use case or navigation semantic units for a specific user category
- The entire interface is tested against selected use cases and navigation semantic units to detect problems in the semantics of the interface
Web UI testing: tasks and targets
The main tasks and assignments of the web user interface testing are:
- definition and specification of the tests with the low level of the noise without the scripting;
- automation of the regression testing without annoying incorrect positives;
- assistance the combination between non-technical and technical members of the company;
- compulsion the consistency across the web user interface;
- implementation of the cross-browser testing.
The main goals of the UI test automation are avoiding the noise and providing the exact results and conclusions. The best decision in order to achieve this is to isolate and test separate and single components of the application. This process will help to get the correct functionality across multiple browsers without requiring scripts. It should be mentioned, that the cases of the test are flexible, and they can be reused across different sectors. The target of this is finding the error and mistakes during the processes of runtime and load testing as well. The analysis of the evaluation consists of such factors as accessibility, branding, intranet standards and consistency.
There are five the most popular and important UI automation tools, which reduce the efforts of the people and increase the productivity:
- Selenium – is the open-source tool for web interface testing, which is widely used during the automated testing of the web apps.
- Sikuli – is the open-source tool for web interface testing, which is based on the methods of the photo recognition.
- Autolt – is a freeware tool for web interface testing, which is used in order to automate the processes in the Windows environment.
- TestComplete – is the tool for web interface testing, which automates tests over the Windows Desktop, the Web Applications and the Mobile Devices.
- TestStack. White – is the tool for web interface testing, which automates tests over the Windows Desktop and Applications, Web Applications, Console Applications, Web Services and Embedded Systems. It also should be mentioned, that this instrument uses the property elements in order to automate the applications.
UI automation testing
UI automation testing – is a unified object model. The main aim of it is supporting the platforms for presenting the complex and broad functionality due to the accessible and easy automated way. The key features of the user interface automation testing are:
- The AutomationId, which uniquely identifies the element of the automation among the elements of the same level.
- The ControlType that determines the type of the control, which is represented by the element of the automation.
- The NameProperty, which is a text string that defines or describes the control.