5 Types of Test Data That Should Be Used During Software Testing
Creation of proper and sufficient test data is one of the key activities of a test environment preparation. Each type of software testing requires different data. The largest amount of data is needed for performance testing, stress testing, and load testing.
Test data must be provided for every test case. One shouldn’t rely on standard test data; it is better to create the custom ones, besides preparation of them helps to assure sufficient test coverage and make the project more efficient.
Test Data Commonly Include:
- Valid test data; it is necessary to verify whether functions of the system are in compliance with the requirements and the system processes and stores the data as intended.
- Invalid test data; it is necessary to make sure that the software correctly processes invalid values, shows the relevant messages, notifying the user that the data are improper.
- Boundary test data values; defects connected with processing boundary values are frequent.
- Wrong data formats; it is wise to check how the system reacts on entering data in an inappropriate format, whether it shows the correct error messages.
- Absent data; it is a good practice to verify how the product handles entering a blank field in course of mobile application testing, desktop testing or web site testing.