Site Start Checklist
Content and style
- Correct symbols. Put down the correct symbols such as dash, quotation marks and apostrophes, depending on the language of the site
- Hyphenation. Put down non-breaking spaces between initials, dashes, before the last words
- For the English: Ligatures. Put down ligatures in the headers, if needed
- Carefully read the text and check spelling
- Connectedness of the texts
- Check the register in the important texts and headlines
- Provide a single text style
- The unity of repetitive phrases (i.e. "Learn more", "Read more», «N comments", etc.)
- Punctuation in lists (e.g. if the list item ends with a point then the following paragraph should begin with an uppercase letter and vice versa for the semicolon)
- Check if there are no hardcoded links to dev-server
- Check of there is no test content on the site
- Check the printed versions of important pages
- Check the RSS feed and the displaying of content in Google Reader
- In the case of redesign or modification of the information architecture check if there are redirects from the old URL to the new
- Accessibility for people with disabilities (check if everything is ok with the perception of color, sound, site navigation and so on)
- HTML validation
- CSS validation
Standards and Validation
Availability in search engines, SEO and statistics
- Page Titles are very important, make sure they make sense and contain important keywords
- Fill in the meta- tag description for important pages
- Bring links to the home page to a single view (i.e., to choose one thing from variations http://site.ru, http://www.site.ru, http://www.site.ru/index.html)
- Guarantee the preceding 6 point by redirecting to the selected version (e.g. redirect from http://www.site.ru/ * to http://site.ru/ *)
- Ensure in semantically competent use of HTML tags (<h1>, <h2>, ... etc.)
- Check for important keywords in the content
- Bring references to a readable form (e.g. http://site.ru/blog/how-to-make-coffee, http://site.ru/user/nastya, etc.)
- Add Google Analytics, FeedBurner, and / or other systems of statistics measurement
- Create XML Sitemap
- Add this site to Google Webmaster Tools
- Check all ordered / special / complex functionality
- Check the search work (including relevance)
- Check the site work in different browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome etc.), versions (6, 7, 2.2, 3.1 etc.) and platforms (Windows, OSX, Linux)
- Check the view of the site at different screen resolutions (1280 × 1024, 1024 × 768 1920 × 1200 800 × 600 ...)
- Test all forms (contact, comments, feedback ...), add the captcha or other protection
- Check out all e-mail templates
- Check the availability of external links
Safety / Risk
- Configure scheduled backups, and test the restored one
- Check whether the visitors have the access to the service / secret / private pages
- Close access to the service / secret / private parts of this site for the search engines using robots.txt
- Cut off the output of errors on the screen
- Check the amount of available disk space and calculate how much it will suffice
- Run a regular procedure for the crown (for most CMS)
- Configure email / SMS notification of inoperable site / server
- Conduct load testing
- Optimize the images / graphics
- Check and implement caching where it is necessary
- Check the overall size / speed of loading pages
- Optimize CSS: short path to the images, use the "cascading" basic of styles, etc.
- Check the availability of indexes in the database tables
- Check the other performance settings at all levels (server, database, CMS, etc.)
- Enable logging of errors / performance on the server.
The final touches
- Create your pages 404/403
- Create a page "Site is under maintenance"
- Create a favicon.
- Add this site to social media: Twitter, VKontakte, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.
- Add this site to search engines.
- Customize PPC / Google Adwords (if required).
- Check the formatting of the site in search results of search engines.
- Monitor feedback (straight from the site, social media, Google, etc.)
- Catch possible statistics problems with some sections / pages of the site.
- Update the content.