Test case is a sequence of actions that describes a set of steps, the specific requirements and parameters, which are necessary to verify the implementation of the tested function.
Test Case is created immediately after the development of a common test plan, even before the program will be written. However, if the necessary documentation is absent, Test Case can be prepared directly during the testing.
Test-case should contain the following information:
- a unique name, which describes the sacrament of the verified function to the test. It is also necessary to link test cases to a specific request;
- general description (summary);
- preconditions (system state in order to be able to perform the test case);
- the steps of test case;
- the expected result.
Some aspects that are required to write good test cases are described below:
- each test case should be independent of each other, the test cases should not have links to other test cases;
- step into the test cases should uniquely identify the action and the result of this action;
- each test case should verify the only one functionality;
- the purpose of each test case is to run the test in the simplest possible way.